Saturday, May 16, 2009

Okay, so since everyone keeps asking lots of questions and asking for more details here is my first attempt at a blog. I will try to keep it up through summer to keep you up with my chicken events! I will try to answer all the questions over the next several blogs...

So, just like all other things in my life, I researched like crazy and decided on the Cornish Rock Cross chickens. These chickens are a hybrid chicken that are known as a “broiler” (ie they are good for their meat) they grow so very fast and should be ready to butcher in 8 to 10 weeks. They will not live long enough to start laying eggs. In fact, I can’t even change my mind because if I let them go too long they will actually have a coronary and die.

Last week I emailed a farmer in Altoona, Pennsylvania who breads them and he let me know that a batch would hatch on Monday, May 10. So on Tuesday, I ran out to pick up supplies from a friend (more about them later) and then food from the Farm & Feed Store in Columbia (I didn’t even know one existed). Whoa – did I feel out of place. I wish I had a Maxwell Smart pen phone to prove that I am not exaggerating….but I was the only one in the store that had all my teeth!!! I didn’t even try to pretend that I knew what I was talking about since the other customers were some serious farmers. Thankfully, everyone that worked there was extremely helpful.

On Tuesday, Farmer George mailed my chickens to me. Yes, mailed. So on Wednesday, our local postmaster called from the post office to inform me that the truck would be arriving at 5:15 and even though they would be closed by then to PLEASE still come pick up my box. I arrived at the same time the big tractor trailer did. The driver had a huge smile as he informed me that he had my box on the seat next to him and it was a very relaxing drive to hear the “peep, peep” the whole way!



Our friends the Millers are really guiding me through this chicken process. They just started some chickens at their house last year and have been gracious and patient in all my thousands of questions. They have also loaned me all sorts of equipment so that I can do a trial run to see if I like it! This makes the accountant in our house (ie Mark!) very happy.
Next blog post will be about how the kids are handling all this!

3 comments:

  1. Where will they be located when they get to big for the garage? Has Mark constructed a pen? I am very curious about your experiment and hope the kids love it! They must be so excited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. I'm excited to see how this goes. I've already been informed that I may not, under any circumstances, buy any chickens so I'm going to have to live this one through you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, very interesting. trying to not to think about how cute they look in the pictures.

    ReplyDelete